A three-alarm fire broke out in the Austerlitz Baptist Church on Friday morning (Sept. 9), the New Orleans Fire Department reported. Firefighters arrived at 9:24 a.m. to find heavy smoke billowing from the rear of the church at 819 Austerlitz St., a block from Magazine Street in the Touro-Bouligny neighborhood. Two people said saw a “ball of fire” coming from a pipe when they turned on the lights, the NOFD said. The fire climbed through the walls into the attic.
A fire in the 1800 block of Jena Street displaced three people early Sunday (Aug. 28), the New Orleans Fire Department reported. A 911 call reported the fire at 5:10 a.m. The NOFD arrived at the scene and found flames emanating from the rear of single-story shotgun double at 1818-20 Jena Street. The residents had all evacuated safely. The firefighters determined that the blaze began in a backyard shed and quickly spread to the house.
A house on First and Baronne streets burst into flames early Tuesday (July 19) and spread to a two-story double next door, according to the New Orleans Fire Department. A 911 call reported the fire just before 2:30 a.m. The first NOFD unit on the scene found an apparently blighted building heavily engulfed in flames that had extended to neighboring homes. They struck a second alarm at at 2:33 a.m. and a third alarm at 2:40 a.m.
As the fire spread to the two-story wood framed double next door, firefighters looked for the occupants. The building’s owner stated that he’d contacted the residents and that no one was home at the time. A small dog was reportedly rescued from the burning double.
Three vacant Hollygrove houses went up in flames early Wednesday (May 18), the New Orleans Fire Department reported. People, who were believed to be squatters, were seen escaping the fire. At 6:16 a.m., nearby residents placed a 911 call reporting a vacant home on fire at 3031 Eagle Street. Arriving on the scene a 6:22 a.m., firefighters found three vacant homes on fire and immediately struck a second and third alarm to contain the spread. The three homes were vacant and had no utilities.
A fire that broke out Saturday afternoon (April 30) at the corner of Delachaise and Freret streets displaced 16 people, according to media reports. Five homes were significantly damaged in the fire. The New Orleans Fire Department received the call about 12:30 p.m. and arrived at 2505 Delachaise St. to find the home engulfed in flames. The Fire Department said dead foliage and tree limbs between the five homes helped the fire spread quickly, causing significant damage to four surrounding homes.
A four-alarm fire broke out in a Central City apartment building and bar early Wednesday (April 20). The New Orleans Fire Department received a 911 call at 5:23 a.m. reporting a fire at Thalia and South Saratoga streets with residents possibly trapped inside the building. Firefighters arrived minutes later and determined that all the occupants had safely escaped. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had consumed the back of the two-story multi-unit building at 1333 S. Saratoga. A second and third alarm was requested at 5:31 a.m.
A fourth alarm was requested about 15 minutes later, as the blaze extended through the roof.
A two-alarm fire broke out Monday night at 1134 St. Charles Ave. in the Lower Garden District. Firefighters were called to the historic building that houses Avenue Scooters at about 9:30 p.m. WDSU-TV reported that the fire began in apartments at the rear of the building. No injuries were reported.
A Central City tenant who was given an eviction notice Monday was arrested Tuesday in Texas on suspicion of aggravated arson in the fire that engulfed a Washington Avenue apartment building, Ramon Antonio Vargas reported on NOLA.com. Jazlynn Major, 25, was booked on a warrant accusing her of 26 counts of arson following the three-alarm blaze Monday night at the Amies Paradise apartments that killed a dog and displaced 26 residents.
Flames engulfed an apartment building on Washington and Carondelet streets on Monday night. Firefighters were called to the three-alarm fire about 8:30 p.m. It was under control at about 11 p.m.
All 26 residents in the two-story building were safely evacuated, the Fire Department reported. A dog belonging to one of the residents died in the fire, however. About 300 people in the area were without power Monday night because of the blaze.
A three-alarm fire broke out early Wednesday in a strip mall on Washington Avenue in Broadmoor. It caused extensive damage to the building that housed eight stores, fire officials report. The alarm sounded at about 2:45 a.m., and firefighters had the blaze under control by about 5 a.m. No injuries were reported.
Only a convenience store in the 4100 block of Washington Avenue, near Eden and Dupre streets, was operating under the pandemic restrictions, and it was closed at the time of the fire, WWL-TV reported. In addition to the convenience store, the affected businesses include Dem Fire Sno Balls, J&B Cleaners, Tattoos, Nola Nails, Rusty’s Po-Boys and Seafood, Emerald Services (a tax preparation and financial planning business), and Karmah Tattoo Supply and Gallery, according to a Google search.