Despite construction underway on nearly every major transporation artery in Uptown New Orleans less than two months away from Mardi Gras, the City Council approved a 2016 parade schedule this week that suggests krewes follow their traditional routes.
The first Uptown parade, the Krewe of Oshun, will roll at 6 p.m. Friday, Jan. 29, followed by Cleopatra, based on the ordinance passed Thursday by the City Council. Each parade date has a route listed alongside it, and those that roll on Magazine Street, such as Muses or Thoth, are still designated to be on the “Uptown/Jefferson” or even “Uptown/Henry Clay” routes respectively.
City officials are still involved in planning meetings for this year’s Mardi Gras celebrations, said David Winkler-Schmit, a spokesman for City Councilwoman LaToya Cantrell, but thus far the routes look to be largely unchanged.
“Nothing’s changed as far as we know,” Winkler-Schmit said. “We haven’t heard of any changes as of yet.”
The full schedule of Uptown parades is as follows, according to the ordinance:
- Friday, January 29, 2016: OSHUN at 6 p.m. (Uptown/Napoleon), and CLEOPATRA at 6:30 p.m. (Uptown/Jefferson).
- Saturday, January 30, 2016: PONTCHARTRAIN at 1 p.m., followed by CHOCTAW at 2 p.m. and FRERET at 2:30 p.m. (all Uptown/Napoleon).
- Saturday, January 30, 2016: SPARTA at 6:00 p.m. (Uptown/Napoleon), and PYGMALION at 6:45 p.m. (Uptown/ Jefferson).
- Sunday, January 31, 2016: FEMME FATALE at 11 a.m. (Uptown/Napoleon), followed by CARROLLTON at noon, KING ARTHUR at 1 p.m. and ending with ALLA at 1:30 p.m. (all three Uptown/Jefferson).
- Wednesday, February 3, 2016: DRUIDS at 6:30 p.m. and NYX at 7 p.m. (both Uptown/Jefferson).
- Thursday, February 4, 2016: BABYLON at 5:30 p.m. and CHAOS at 6:30 p.m. (both Uptown/Napoleon), and concluding with MUSES at 6:30 p.m. (Uptown/Jefferson).
- Friday, February 5, 2016: HERMES at 6 p.m. (Uptown/Napoleon), followed by D’ETAT at 6:30 p.m. and MORPHEUS at 7 p.m. (both Uptown/Jefferson).
- Saturday, February 6, 2016: IRIS at 11 a.m. and TUCKS at noon (both Uptown/Napoleon).
- Sunday, February 7, 2016: OKEANOS at 11 a.m. and MID-CITY at 11:45 a.m. (both Uptown/Jefferson), and then THOTH at noon (Uptown/Henry Clay).
- Sunday, February 7, 2016: BACCHUS at 5:15 p.m. (Uptown/Napoleon).
- Monday, February 8, 2016: PROTEUS at 5:15 p.m. and ORPHEUS at 6 p.m. (both Uptown/Napoleon).
- Tuesday, February 9, 2016: ZULU at 8 a.m. (Uptown/Jackson) and REX at 10 a.m. (Uptown/Claiborne), followed by ELKS ORLEANIANS and CRESCENT CITY truck parades.
Endymion will parade on the Mid-City route at 4:15 p.m. Feb. 6. Westbank parades are Adonis on Jan. 30 and NOMTOC on Feb. 6.