Two young teens arrested in robbery, carjacking with shotgun, police say

Print More
(map via NOPD)

(map via NOPD)

An late-night armed robbery followed immediately by a carjacking in Central City last week — both involving an assailant wielding a shotgun — were the work of two teens, ages 13 and 14, who have since been arrested, New Orleans police said.

NOPD detectives solved the pair of robberies via a tracking device in the carjacked Honda Accord that led them first to the Seventh Ward, and then to New Orleans East, according to a news release. The 13-year-old was identified as the gunman by one of the victims, so he was charged with armed robbery, while both were charged with illegal use of the stolen vehicle, the release states.

For more details, see the full NOPD news release below:

The NOPD has arrested two teens, ages 13 and 14 years old, in connection with multiple Uptown armed robberies and one carjacking incident.

On Thursday, April 2, 2015, in the 1800 block of First Street, a 37-year old man told detectives he was walking in the block around 11:25 p.m. when he observed an unknown burgundy sedan drive up next to him. One of the suspects exited the vehicle and pointed a sawed-off shotgun at the victim and demanded his property. The victim complied and gave the suspects his backpack containing his cell phone. The suspect jumped back into the vehicle and the driver drove off.

About five minutes later, in the 3200 block of Toledano Street, a 53-year-old man told detectives he was standing in a friend’s driveway around 11:30 p.m. when he observed an unknown burgundy sedan drive up. The victim said two unknown black males exited the vehicle at which time one of them pointed a sawed-off shotgun at him and demanded his property. The victim gave the suspects $5 in cash. The suspect holding the shotgun noticed the victim’s 2011 silver Honda Accord was running with the keys still in the ignition. The gun toting suspect drove off in the victim’s car while the other suspect jumped into the unknown sedan and followed close behind.

On Friday, April 3, 2015, detectives learned that the victim’s vehicle was equipped with a tracking device that initially led them to the 2900 block of Mandeville Street. Detectives relocated to the area and observed the suspects sitting inside of the vehicle. Detectives conducted an undercover surveillance of the suspects. During the surveillance, detectives lost sight of the suspects.

The vehicle was tracked to the 6800 block of West Coronet Court. Detectives immediately saturated the area at which time a brief foot chase ensued. Both teens were later apprehended without any further incident.

The victim of the carjacking was unable to identify the teens as the perpetrators involved in the incident. The victim of the armed robbery positively identified the 13-year-old as the suspect who robbed him with the shotgun.

Based on the evidence and circumstances surrounding the investigation, both teens were booked into the Juvenile Division and charged with Unauthorized Use of Motor Vehicle, Illegal Possession of Stolen Property and Resisting an Officer.

The 13-year-old perpetrator was additionally booked with two counts of Armed Robbery and two counts of Use of a Firearm during a Robbery.

Detectives believe the pair might be linked to similar robberies in the area.

The investigation is on-going.

The Sixth District Investigative Unit is in charge of the investigation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *