The Advanced Auto Parts store on South Claiborne Avenue was robbed at gunpoint again Saturday afternoon for the second time in as many weeks, New Orleans police said.
When New Orleans Police Commander Bob Bardy was promoted to deputy superintendent earlier this month, he left behind an eight-year stint in the Sixth District where most people knew his name and many knew his personal phone number.
When residents had problems — even problems like being charged in shootings — they knew they could call Bardy and receive a fair hearing, they said. Now that Commander Ronnie Stevens has been named to take the lead in the Sixth District, Central City residents in particular are hoping that strong relationship continues.
“We have a strong partnership with the Sixth District police,” said Barbara Lacen-Keller, a Central City activist who now works in City Hall. “We are family.”
Surveillance video released by the New Orleans Police Department shows the robbery of the Magnolia Discount Market on Airline Highway, and police are hoping the public can help them identify a suspect, authorities said.
Federal agents and New Orleans police arrested a 33-year-old man Tuesday in connection with a narcotics operation that has so far seized nearly $20,000 in cash and more than a kilogram of heroin from locations in Mid-City and the Irish Channel, authorities said.
Investigators are looking for a black Hyundai Sonata that was taken in an armed carjacking Monday afternoon behind the Academy of the Sacred Heart, New Orleans police said.
The Krewe of OAK’s Mid-Summer Mardi Gras parade is intended to be “Outrageous and Kinky,” but not larcenous — so krewe members are genuinely outraged that the tricycle and cart with the king’s throne disappeared from in front of the Maple Leaf Bar after Saturday’s parade.
Sixth District Commander Bob Bardy — the longest-serving district commander in the New Orleans Police Department — was promoted Friday morning to Deputy Chief for Operations in the new administration of Superintendent Michael Harrison.
A man was left in critical condition Wednesday after being shot several times near a Central City intersection, New Orleans police said.
After residents complained that an initial sweep of a homeless encampment under the Pontchartrain Expressway simply moved the collection of tents and panhandlers from one side of St. Charles to the other, New Orleans City Councilwoman LaToya Cantrell is requesting city officials to return and clean out the area closer to the river as well.
Cantrell is also introducing a change to the city law that more specifically prohibits camping on public property, but said she is still looking to residents for answers to the larger question of how to get homeless people off the streets instead of moving them from one spot to another.
A man was taken to the hospital in critical condition after being shot in the face by a man who demanded his money around 5 p.m. Tuesday in Hollygrove, New Orleans police said.
Surveillance video released by the New Orleans Police Department shows Sunday’s armed robbery of an auto parts store on South Claiborne Avenue, and police are hoping the public can help identify the gunman.
Sweeps by New Orleans city officials of a homeless encampment under the Pontchartrain Expressway ultimately moved the collection of tents and people closer to the river on the other side of St. Charles Avenue, according to a report by our partners at WWL-TV. City officials called the first camp a health hazard and said they were helping the people there get into shelters, but residents say the problem merely moved: “Clearly, if the garbage and human waste is a ‘public health concern’ on one side of St. Charles, it has to be considered a ‘public health concern’ on the other side of St. Charles,” nearby resident Jeff Keiser told The Advocate.