New Orleans Police officials modeled the new cameras Friday that will be part of all on-duty officers’ uniforms this year, as efforts continue to recruit more officers to shore up the ranks of the shrinking police force.
The preparation for installation of a new drainage canal under the Jefferson Avenue neutral ground will require closing both lanes of the road at Clara Street for two months starting on Monday, New Orleans officials announced.
The controversial fence closing Newcomb Boulevard from Freret Street will be removed “without delay,” according to an announcement by the attorney for the neighborhood groups who have sought its removal for seven years.
Starting next week, daytime buses on South Claiborne Avenue and nighttime buses on Jackson Avenue will run more frequently as part of a series of upgrades to New Orleans bus service around the city for 2014, officials said.
That old Morial magic still works.
When the invitations went out from National Urban League CEO Marc Morial’s office for a Friday luncheon at Dooky Chase’s Restaurant, you could feel the stir in the political community. Last Friday, with the restaurant closed for the private event, there wasn’t an empty chair in the place.
The celebrated One Restaurant on Hampson Street in Carrollton’s Riverbend area will serve its final meals this week, and a fresh-food grocery partially financed through a city initiative is closed and up for sale.
This past Thursday, the City Council introduced an ordinance to strengthen New Orleans’ noise regulations. Predictably, I am less than thrilled. Because the issues involved are multifaceted and I always seek to edify my valued readers, I have written the following Q&A regarding these newly proposed noise laws. As a holiday bonus, the questions will be asked by the ghost of John Wayne.
A leader of one of the NOPD Sixth District’s task forces was placed on emergency suspension Thursday night amid allegations of driving recklessly and trying to escape a Causeway Police officer, New Orleans police officials said.
After qualifying for the Feb. 1 city elections ended last week, LaToya Cantrell is the only member of the New Orleans City Council without a re-election battle on her hands.
With her first full four-year term ahead of her, Cantrell said this week that she can give all her focus to her priorities — blight and housing issues, crime and public safety, and, most immediately, revisions to the city’s Mardi Gras parade rules.
“If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, again.”
That’s apparently the motto of the First Spanish American Baptist Church (FSABC), which owns the dilapidated wood-frame building located at 1824 Sophie Wright Place in the Lower Garden District. Their latest application to demolish the structure was rejected this past Thursday by the Historic District Landmarks Commission (HDLC).
The NOLA For Life Day planned for Saturday at A.L. Davis Park in Central City has been postponed to Jan. 11, 2014, amid predictions of rain, city officials said.
The latest request to demolish the First Spanish-American Baptist Church building in the Lower Garden District — listed in 2011 as one of the most endangered historic structures in New Orleans — was denied with more stern words from city officials Thursday, but the fate of the structure remains uncertain as it continues to decay.
We are not fans of racial divisiveness. But lots of time in politics, voting occurs along racial lines. This election cycle may be a prime example of that.
Danae drove to Judge Michael Bagneris’ home early this morning because she wanted to be among the first to show her support for the Bagneris For Mayor Campaign. Actually, Danae should have gone yesterday evening when a small crowd gathered on Bagneris’ doorstep. In light of Bagneris’ resignation yesterday from his long-time post at Civil District Court, chances are very strong that he will qualify prior to the 4:30 p.m. Friday cutoff.