A vacant Tulane fraternity house was damaged in a fire early Friday morning, authorities said, leaving a newly scorched structure directly next door to an empty lot on Broadway Street where a frat house that burned last October was recently torn down.
The former Sigma Alpha Mu house at 712 Broadway caught fire around 1 a.m. July 20, said Tulane University spokesman Michael Strecker. The building was unoccupied and undergoing renovations, so there were no injuries, Strecker said. He referred questions about the cause of the fire to the New Orleans Fire Department, which did not have information on the investigation readily available Tuesday afternoon.
A Carrollton Avenue gas station was robbed Monday night, and a woman leaving Freret Street was attacked from behind in a purse snatching last week, police said.
ENCORE Academy, the new music-focused charter school that will spend its first year located in the new Crocker building in Uptown’s Milan neighborhood, will hold a board meeting at 6:30 p.m. tonight (Tuesday, July 24) to receive updates on the construction of the new building and on the school’s start-up loan, as well as for accountability training for the board.
Seeking reform to city laws such as those that require them to move every 45 minutes, a half-dozen members of the New Orleans Food Truck Coalition will assemble from 6 to 9 p.m. tonight (Tuesday, July 24) to show off their skills and talk policy at the Ashe Cultural Arts Center at 1712 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd, reports Shay Sokol of NOLA Defender in an interview with Empanada Intifada owner Taylor Jackson.
A Thai restaurant’s request for alcohol sales at its Maple Street location and a proposed fast-food restaurant in a service station on South Claiborne Avenue will return to the City Planning Commission on Tuesday, after their initial trips through the city bureaucracy were derailed by the council standoff in May.
No one was injured in the crash near the Pontchartrain Expressway just before 5 p.m. rush hour, according to our partners at WWL-TV:
A man walking his dog Monday morning was cut with a knife and robbed of his wallet on Calhoun Street in the university area, police said.
A shed in a Laurel Street backyard caught fire Monday afternoon and spread to the main house, damaging the rear bedroom and the attic and drawing firefighters from the scene of a much larger Constance Street fire from just a few hours earlier.
An abandoned service station at the corner of Constance and Peniston streets burned to the ground Monday morning, damaging the house next door but harming no one, witnesses and officials said.
A fresh-food market plans to bring the produce of 200 farmers to O.C. Haley Boulevard, and the local Mediterrean chain Byblos plans to move into the space on Magazine Street recently vacated by the closure of Nacho Mama’s.
At the party, the sci-fi krewe will announce next year’s theme and begin raising funds, with “appearances by interstellar Mardi Gras Indian tribe the Mighty Wookie Fi-Yo, performances by the Vajar Jar Binks Dance Team, music from all-girl ska-rockers Local Skank, and a lot more entertainment,” according to Brad Rhines of NOLA Defender.
Strong thunderstorms Friday morning caused power outages in neighborhoods across Uptown, based on a map of outages by Entergy. Approximately 40,000 customers were without power shortly after 11 a.m. amid the sudden, heavy downpour.
After a wounded man at the hospital claimed to have been caught in the crossfire of a early-evening gun battle at the busy corner of Magazine and Louisiana, investigators have found “no evidence” that suggests the shooting actually took place there, authorities said Thursday evening.
The block of Magazine Street between Napoleon and General Pershing will be closed to traffic and water pressure will be low from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday while Sewerage and Water Board crews repair a leaking water main, the agency announced.
A 26-year-old man was found guilty of second-degree murder Wednesday evening in a 2011 shooting that claimed the life of a 19-year-old known as a peacemaker and shut down a Freret Street trouble spot.