Term-limits on a number of state legislators elected after Hurricane Katrina brought an initial flurry of candidates to newly-vacant seats in the first two days of qualifying this week, but no new contenders joined the crowded field on Thursday morning as only a few hours remained before the afternoon’s deadline for the Oct. 12 election.
Contested elections include:
- House District 91, which runs from the Irish Channel through Milan and Broadmoor into Hollygrove and is currently represented by Rep. Walt Leger: Carling Dinkler (vice president of an investment firm), attorney Mandie Landry, attorney Robert McKnight of the Orleans Parish public defenders office and John Perry III.
- House District 98, which expands from the Riverbend through Audubon, the university area, Carrollton and Freret and is represented by Rep. Neil Abramson: attorney Evan Bergeron, Max Hayden Chiz, business consultant Aimee Adatto Freeman, environmentalist Marion “Penny” Freistadt, attorney Ravi Sangisetty, attorney Kea Sherman and charter-education activist Carlos Zervigon.
- Senate District 3, being vacated by Sen. J.P. Morrell: current District 100 state Rep. John Bagneris (D) and current District 97 state Rep. Joe Bouie (D).
- House District 94, which covers Lakeview and part of Mid-City: incumbent Rep. Stephanie Hilferty (R), Tammy Savoie (D), Kirk Williamson (R).
- House District 97, being vacated by Bouie, which covers Mid-City and Gentilly: Ethan Ashley (D), Belden “Noonie Man” Batiste (Independent), Eugene Green (D), Durrell Laurent (D), and Matthew Willard (D).
- House District 100, being vacated by Bagneris: Jason Hughes (D) and Anthony Jackson Jr (D).
- House District 99, held by Wesley Bishop, who is not seeking re-election: Adonis C. Expose’ (D), Candace Newell (D), Jameel Shaheer (D).
Uncontested seats include:
- House District 93, which includes the Garden District and Central City: incumbent Royce Duplessis (D).
- Senate District 5, representing most of Uptown: incumbent Karen Carter Peterson (D).
- Senate District 9, based in Metairie but including parts of Audubon and the university area: state Rep. Cameron Henry (R).
- Senate District 4, currently held by Sen. Wesley Bishop: current District 99 state Rep. Jimmy Harris (D).
- Senate District 1: incumbent Sen. Sharon Hewitt (D).
- Senate District 7: incumbent Sen. Troy Carter (D).
Qualifying concludes at 4:30 p.m. today (Aug. 8).