Curtains that caught fire inside a Chippewa Street home on Thursday afternoon quickly spread to engulf the entire house and the home next door, leaving a total of four people homeless afterward, New Orleans fire officials said.
A resident of 2400 Chippewa Street was working inside his single-story wood-frame home around 2:45 p.m. “when the curtains ignited and quickly spread throughout the home,” according to a New Orleans Fire Department news release. Firefighters arrived seven minutes after the 911 call, but the house was already engulfed in flame that was spreading to the house next door at 632-34 First Street, the report states.
Residents of the home on First Street heard their neighbor yelling, “Fire!” and were able to escape their house before it was consumed by the fire, the report states. Both houses partially collapsed during the fire, leaving a total of four people displaced, but no one was injured, according to the report.
It took more than an hour for 41 fire department personnel on 16 vehicles to bring the fire under control at 4:16 p.m., the report states.