The owners of a historic shotgun home on Oretha Castle Haley Boulevard have withdrawn their controversial request to tear down the structure, the New Orleans City Council said on Thursday.
The city’s Neighborhood Conservation District Advisory Committee had already recommended against allowing the demolition of 2112 O.C. Haley Boulevard last month, after neighbors and preservationists argued that the house is part of a pattern of four remaining identical, circa-1880s shotguns that form a crucial part of the corridor’s streetscape. The opponents of the demolition said the house could be restored, and criticized owners Gary and Mabel Smith of Atlanta for its current state of neglect and disrepair.
At Thursday’s meeting of the New Orleans City Council, the clerk announced that the demolition proposal had been withdrawn at the request of the owners, and no further action was taken on it.