Lusher, Audubon and Samuel J. Green charter schools, Tulane University and City Hall will all be closing early today (Tuesday, Feb. 23) because of the sudden threat of severe weather.
City Hall and all NORDC recreation facilities will close at 1 p.m. today, and all public meetings scheduled after 1 p.m. are canceled. Residents are advised to remain indoors during the rain, according to Mayor Mitch Landrieu’s office.
“According to the National Weather Service, severe weather, including thunderstorms and heavy wind gusts, is expected to develop in New Orleans this afternoon and last through the evening,” according to the city’s news release. “Due to the potentially severe danger that could result from high water, residents should call 911 to report street flooding and life-threatening emergencies. The NOPD will ticket motorists who drive faster than 5 mph on streets with standing water.”
At Tulane University, “All classes are being canceled and students are requested to stay in their residence halls until the bad weather has passed and an all clear is issued by the university or Student Affairs,” according to the university website. “Non-essential personnel should depart the campus by noon. … The university expects to resume normal operations in the morning and employees should expect to report to work at their normal time, unless they are otherwise notified.”
Dismissal times for Uptown schools are as follows:
- Audubon Charter will close its Upper School at Noon; the Lower School will be closed at 12:15 p.m. All students will be served lunch before dismissal.
- Lusher Charter (all campuses) at 11:30 a.m.
- New Orleans Sci High will close at 11 a.m.
- Samuel J. Green Charter School will dismiss at 11:15 a.m.
- At Lycee Francais, dismissal for all campuses is 12:45 p.m.
Trinity will close at 1:15 p.m. today, and all after-school activities have been cancelled.
Dismissal times for other schools around the city:
- Hynes Charter is dismissing all children at 11:30 a.m.
- Einstein Charter is closing at Noon.
- Warren Easton Charter is closing at 12:30 p.m.
- Morris Jeff Charter is closing at Noon
- Ben Franklin High School at 12:30 p.m.
- International High School will close at 12:05 p.m.
- All ISL campuses will close at 1:30 p.m.
- Moton Charter School will close at 3:00 p.m.
- Langston Hughes Academy will dismiss at 11:15am
- Arthur Ashe Charter School and Phillis Wheatley Community School will dismiss at their normal half day schedule of 12:30pm
- Joseph S. Clark Preparatory High School will dismiss at their normal early dismissal time of 1:05pm