A number of bus routes will be detoured and streetcar service will be disrupted over the next few weeks amid two weekends of Mardi Gras parades and the Super Bowl, RTA officials announced.
Below are a few of the Uptown routes that will be affected:
St. Charles Streetcar during Mardi Gras Season
- January 25 to February 12 during parades: No St. Charles streetcar service from Canal St. and Carondelet St. to Napoleon Ave. and St. Charles Ave. until each parade has cleared St. Charles Ave. Streetcars will continue to run between Napoleon Ave. on St. Charles Ave. to Fern St. (Riverbend). Replacement bus service will run every 20 minutes to Napoleon Ave. from Elk Place at Canal St. to Napoleon Ave. and follow Line 15 – Freret to Napoleon Ave. and between Fern St. and S. Carrollton Ave. and S. Claiborne Ave.
- Saturday, February 9 to Mardi Gras, Tuesday, February 12: Replacement bus service will operate instead of St.
Charles streetcars and follow the parade detour pattern described above.
Bus routes in general
- Line 16 – S. Claiborne from January 26 to February 3rd: No service on Poydras Street from Claiborne Avenue to Camp Street in both directions. Board Claiborne buses at Elk Place at Canal Street (Algiers stop).
- Line 10 – Tchoupitoulas from January 30 to February 3rd : No service on Convention Center Boulevard. Board Line 10 going to Audubon Park on Tchoupitoulas Street from Poydras Street to Calliope Street in both directions.
- Line 91 – Jackson-Esplanade – February 2nd. Lines will detour to Canal Street via Esplanade Ave., N. Claiborne Ave., Basin St., Conti St. to N. Rampart St and Canal St. No service to Canal St from Mahalia Jackson Theatre (St. Philip St.).
Uptown bus detours during parades
- 10 – Tchoupitoulas: No service on Tchoupitoulas St. from Napoleon Ave. to Audubon Park until parades have cleared Napoleon Ave. From Canal St. to go uptown during parades, board bus at Camp St. and Poydras St. On Wednesday, February 6 and Saturday, February 9, board bus at Camp St. and Girod St. to go uptown.
- 11 – Magazine: No Service from Marengo St. to Audubon Park until parades have cleared Napoleon Ave. From Canal St. to go uptown during parades, board bus at Camp St. and Poydras St. On Wednesday, February 6 and Saturday, February 9, board bus at Camp St. and Girod St. to go uptown.
- 16 – Claiborne: No service from Loyola Ave. and Poydras St. to Harrah’s Casino until parades have cleared Canal St. From Canal St., board buses at Elks Place and Canal St.
- 27 – Louisiana: For all parades except on February 16 and 17, service will operate until 6:00 p.m. On Thursday, February 7 and Friday, February 8, there will be no service on the Louisiana line from Carondelet St. to Tchoupitoulas St. until parades have cleared St. Charles Ave.
- 28 – M. L King: No service from Magnolia St. and Napoleon Ave. to Napoleon Ave. and Tchoupitoulas St. until parades have cleared St. Charles Ave. To go to UPT and S. Broad St. and Washington Ave. during parades, board bus at Napoleon Ave. and Carondolet St.
- 91 – Jackson-Esplanade: For uptown parades, no service from O.C. Haley Ave. and Jackson Ave. to Tchoupitoulas St. and Jackson Ave. until uptown parades have cleared St. Charles Ave.
To see the complete list of changes citywide, see the following notice from the RTA.