Jan 032013
 

Firefighters extinguish a few remaining hot spots at the Sullivan Stained Glass Studio on Magazine Street after a fire burned the front of the building Thursday afternoon. (Robert Morris, UptownMessenger.com)

A stained-glass studio on Magazine Street caught fire Thursday afternoon while its owner was renovating the front of it, but firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly enough to prevent any serious structural damage.

John Sullivan, owner of Sullivan Stained Glass Studio at Magazine and General Taylor, said he was using a heat gun to remove some material from the front of the building around 3:45 p.m. Thursday when the flames ignited. Firefighters quickly arrived, and although some of the building’s exterior was destroyed, the damage was mostly cosmetic and won’t affect the structure of the building, said New Orleans Fire Department Capt. Ross Hennessey.

As firefighters finished their work on the building Thursday afternoon, Sullivan said he hadn’t had a chance to get inside yet, but didn’t expect major damage to his artwork. The production area was not affected, so he said he saw no reason why he shouldn’t be able to reopen fairly quickly for the Magazine Street tourists who been have patronizing his studio in its 20 years on the corner.

“It was very quickly and very professionally contained,” Sullivan said. “They did a very fast and very professional job. I’m very grateful”

Hennessey, the NOFD captain, accepted Sullivan’s compliments in stride.

“We’re the best of the best,” Hennessey said, smiling. “Look at all these old buildings around here, still standing. We must be doing something right.”

Share:
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Print

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.