The city’s shuttered Lyons Center in the Irish Channel will host a major party Saturday with live music, food and drink, cabbage ball and swimming in a fundraiser to support the youth sports leagues in the neighborhood.
The “Lyons Center Family Reunion” from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. will raise money for the Lyons-Burke Booster Club to buy equipment and uniforms for teams based at the Lyons Center or Burke Park, organizers said.
From their Facebook page:
* Raise funds for the Lyons-Burke Booster (LBB) Club which purchases uniforms and equipment for NORD athletic teams based out of Lyons Center or Burke Park. The LBB also serves as a community advocate representing Lyons Center and Burke Park to the city and NORD.
* Raise awareness of NORD programs at both Lyons Center and Burke Park.
* Celebrate the Lyons Center pool opening for the summer 2011 season.
* Bring attention to the fact that Lyons Center has sat empty and shuttered since Katrina in spite of the fact there was no flooding in our area and the center initially only suffered roof damage.
When: June 18th from 11 AM to 5 PM
* Cabbage ball games featuring Lyons Center Alumni, members from the Original Prince of Wales, the Young Men Olympians and the OGs
* Music by DJ Jubilee, the BCAA Live Oak Marching Band and others
* Food and beverages available for purchase, including NOLA Brewery
* Swimming at the Lyons Center pool
Who: Lyons-Burke Booster Club, The Original Prince of Wales, OGs, Young Men Olympians, DJ Jubilee, BCAA Live Oak Marching Band, Segueno, La Divina Gelateria, NOLA Brewery, Breaux Mart, Lyons and Burke parks kids, Irish Channel Neighborhood Association, Faubourg Delachaise and Lyons Center Alumni from throughout the years.
Chriss Knight of WGNO spent some time with organizers and players in the Channel on Friday morning. See her report: