At Friday Night Fights, boxing is only part of the attraction, as the Freret Street Gym recruits all sorts of entertainment and for each month’s event. A recent video by Dillard University students explains:
On Saturday morning, explore a more introspective side of Freret Street — or the Irish Channel, or Oak Street — by taking part in one of three “Jane’s Walks” around Uptown New Orleans. Activist and author Jane Jacobs championed a pedestrian-oriented approach to city planning, and the neighborhood walks are intended to bring her ideas about community identity to life through group exploration on foot.
Other events this weekend include a premiere of Lusher students’ short films, a black-tie fundraiser for Audubon Zoo, free comic books and a mother’s day concert. For more details and links, see our full listings below.
- NOPD Department-wide weekly COMSTAT. 8:30 a.m., UNO Engineering building.
- PJ’s Family Night at the Movies (weekly). 6:30 p.m. PJ’s Coffee, 5432 Magazine Street.
- Uptown Chess Club (weekly). 7 p.m. Pepperoni’s Cafe, 8123 Hampson St.
- Friday Night Fights. 7 p.m., Freret and Napoleon
- Lusher students premiere film shorts. 7 p.m., Prytania Theatre, 5339 Prytania
- Zoo-To-Do fundraiser with music by The Four Tops, cocktails, food, silent auction and luxury car raffle. 7 p.m., Audubon Zoo, 6500 Magazine St.
- Spirituality in Film series: “The Message.” 7:30 p.m., Parker Church, 1130 Nashville.
- Jane’s Walks, a series of free neighborhood walking tours inspired by the work of urbanist Jane Jacobs. Irish Channel walk begins at 8 a.m. at Sucre on Magazine; Freret Street walk begins at 9 a.m. at Village Coffee at 5335 Freret, and the Oak Street walk also begins at 9 a.m. at Rue de la Course, 1140 S. Carrollton Ave.
- Friends of NOPL Weekly Used Book Sale. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Latter Library, 5120 St Charles.
- Free comic book day, a national promotion intended to bring in new readers to comic books by giving away special comics for free. 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Crescent City Comics, 4916 Freret St
- Lusher students premiere film shorts. 2:30 p.m., Prytania Theatre, 5339 Prytania
- “Between Two Thoughts” Opening Reception. 6 p.m., Cole Pratt Gallery, 3800 Magazine St.
- Greater New Orleans Youth Orchestra Mother’s Day concert. 7 p.m., Mahalia Jackson Theater.