This weekend will feature a full slate of cultural events in Uptown New Orleans: St. Joseph Day altars, a marathon Bach festival, more city-led efforts against neighborhood blight and the Mardi Gras Indians’ Super Sunday festivities.
Friday will launch Trinity Episcopal’s Bach Around the Clock XIV, a 29-hour celebration of the music of Bach.
St. Joseph’s Day altars will begin Friday at various locations around the city Friday and continue Saturday.
Saturday morning, the city will sponsor neighborhood cleanup and code-enforcement efforts around several city parks, including Harrell Stadium in Leonidas and Taylor Park in Central City.
Saturday will also feature a fair in Palmer Park to support the Child Development Center’s move to the Church of Annuniciation.
On Sunday, Mardi Gras Indians will hold their annual Super Sunday festival and parade at A.L. Davis Park in Central City.
For full details on these and other events, see our calendar below.
- NOPD Department-wide weekly COMSTAT. 8:30 a.m., UNO Engineering building.
- St. Joseph Day altars:
– Good Shepherd Parish, St. Stephen Church. Blessing at 8:30 a.m. school Mass. 1025 Napoleon Ave.
– De La Salle High School. Viewing 9 a.m.- 4 p.m. in the school lobby. Blessing at 9:15 a.m. “Tupa, Tupa” Holy Family playlet, rosary at 11:30 a.m. 5300 St. Charles Ave.
– Home of Andrew J. Willams. Blessing at 11 a.m. with viewing until 6 p.m. 724 Marengo St.
- PJ’s Family Night at the Movies (weekly). 6:30 p.m. PJ’s Coffee, 5432 Magazine Street.
- Uptown Chess Club (weekly). 7 p.m. Pepperoni’s Cafe, 8123 Hampson St.
- BACH Around the Clock XIV. 29-hour celebration of the music of Bach. 7 p.m. Friday until midnight Saturday, Trinity Episcopal Church, 1329 Jackson Avenue.
- “Fight the Blight” volunteer day. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Five block areas starting at Harrell Park (Claiborne and Leonidas) and Taylor Park (3101 Washington Ave.).
- St. Joseph Day altars
– Home of Andrew J. Williams. Viewing 8 a.m.-3 p.m., with blessing by Msgr. Henry Engelbrecht at 11 a.m. 724 Marengo St.
– Good Shepherd Parish, St. Stephen Church. Public viewing with 9 a.m. St. Joseph Mass. Meals served at 11:30 a.m. with viewing continuing until 6 p.m. 1025 Napoleon Ave.
– St. Alphonsus, in St. Mary’s Assumption Church. Blessing at 10 a.m. followed by viewing. Altar will break at 11:30 a.m. after which meals will be served. 923 Josephine St. (corner of Constance).
- Lusher School Board meeting. 10 a.m., Fortier campus, 5624 Freret.
- Friends of NOPL Weekly Used Book Sale. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Latter Library, 5120 St Charles.
- Child Development Program fair. Proceeds to help preschool program with moving expenses. 10 a.m., Palmer Park.
- Octavia Book books club 10:30 a.m.
- Gris Gris Lab‘s grand opening of the Community Market. 11 a.m., 2245 Brainard Street near Jackson Ave.
- Self-Publishing Workshop with Linda Yasnyi. 2 p.m., Latter Library, 5120 St Charles
- New Orleans Hornets host the Boston Celtics. 7 p.m., New Orleans Arena.
- Super Sunday 2011. 11 a.m. Festival begins at A.L. Davis Park located at Washington Ave. and LaSalle St., with parade at 1 p.m.
- Sunday Matinee. 2 p.m., Latter Library, 5120 St Charles
- Poetry Reading and Open Mic. 3 p.m., Maple Leaf Bar, 8316 Oak Street.